8.14.2009

Muuratsalo summer house








Cool boathouse too!

Photo: flicker

From Galinsky: "The Finnish architect Alvar Aalto designed the "Experimental House" in 1952. Aino, Aalto's first wife had died in 1949 and the house was built to serve as a summer getaway for himself and his new wife, Elissa. It was conceived as an experimental laboratory to test construction and architecture philosophies such as foundation systems, free-form brick construction, and passive solar heating. Since the building was Aalto's own financial venture and served only as a part time residence, the house is playful and expressive in its execution and possibly serves to ask more questions than it answers".

Read more here, or even better, go see it!

2 comments:

  1. I grew up just a few kilometers from this house... I remember that we had field trips at school when we went to see it, but it was years later when I realized that it's actually quite a cool place.
    The island where it's located is a quiet and calm, so it was weird to spot occasional tourist buses in the summer.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wish I had seen the house in real life to, I just love it! Maybe I have to go sometime soon :)

    ReplyDelete